Friday, March 10, 2017

I am exhausted.  There are several things that are contributing to my delirious state of mind: parenting, school work for my daytime job, school work for my grad class, a school play, taxi-driving to sports events, and a brain that makes lists all night long when I would prefer to be sleeping. It is overwhelming at times, and the desire to give up and feel sorry for myself sometimes comes dangerously close to winning. Almost, but not quite.  Because every time I feel like I have hit my limits, I am reminded of the importance of the jobs I have been given.

In my classroom, no two days look alike.  Okay, that is not entirely true.  I do have an opening routine that involves students settling in at their desks, getting out their dog-eared homework, and doing the opening reflection assignment on the board.  But that is where the routine ends.  Each day can bring about an entirely different set of exercises and discussions.  I have actually overheard students describing Mrs. Hoffman's class as, "unpredictable, because you never know what she is going to have us do." I will admit, that there have been some crazy moments of laughter or music from a lesson that bellows down the hallway causing those passing by to stop and attempt to judge the worthiness of the lesson.  
But over the last week,  I have done some really deep thinking and introspection. What is my purpose? What is my driving question every day? My grad class has focused this first week on what I am doing to shape the thinking and mindset of those students placed in my care.  It was an interesting fact noted by my professor that no matter how much society wants to say that teachers keep their belief system out of the classroom, IT WILL STILL SHOW UP.  Because if we truly believe in something, it should shape what we think, how we act, and who we are.  

After reading my first blog post, that same friend who challenged me before, challenged me once again.  I received in the mail a book written by Seth Godin entitled, What To Do When It Is Your Turn [and it's always your turn].  At first I set the book on a shelf.  Hello?! Didn't I just finish saying I was bogged down with a new class? I had no time for pleasure reading.  But curiosity got the best of this English teacher.  So I put on my soft pants, grabbed a snack, and picked up the book. I could not put it down.  While the entire book was motivational, this passage stood out to me: 

"What will you create? 


 Who will you help? 

 What will you dare to care about? 


       There are so many opportunities, so many chances to find beauty or to ease suffering, that the easiest thing to do is to pretend they don't exists. 

Because if they do exists, if that little girl will live a better life because you showed up, if that void will be filled because you cared enough to do something about it...if we actually recognize the opportunity that's in front of us, what are we to do about it?

We'd have no choice but to change things for the better, to take our turn and make a difference.  
You have the chance to change things....What do you care enough to fix, or disrupt, or invent? 

Starting right here, right now.  If we are willing to suffer enough to matter, we are able to make change happen.  or at least we can try. 

Don't avert your eyes. Look at the opportunity.  Take it.  

It's yours." 

So today, in spite of exhaustion and a desire to take a long nap, the desire to make a difference is a little stronger.  

Reference: 
Godin, Seth. What to do when it's your turn (and it's always your turn). Canada: Domino Project, 2014. Print. 


8 comments:

  1. File this under, "there is no such thing as true objectivity":"Because if we truly believe in something, it should shape what we think, how we act, and who we are." As much as I like this statement (and believe it to be absolutely true), it's also a little scary. ;-) good stuff, as always, Courtney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "There is no such thing as true objectivity" is such a sobering thought. As parents, we give away so many rights every day that we send our kids away. As a teacher, I am realizing the tremendous responsibility to take that right and be responsible with it. Hmm,maybe another blog topic...

      Delete
  2. This: "So I put on my soft pants, grabbed a snack, and picked up the book. I could not put it down."

    ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I found your blog Courtney! You're right, our belief system (world view) shows up in all that we do. Keep pressing on and making a positive impact on kid's lives for Christ's glory!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Several weeks ago in church a visitor came up to me after church and asked if I remembered her. I couldn't place her and said no. She told me her maiden name and then said I had taught her in third grade waaayyy back in '83 when I taught here before. She then went on to thank me for my influence and for making the classroom and haven and loving environment during a tough time at home (which the school was unaware). You don't know, Courtney, whose life you are helping to shape, but for sure your world view is making an impact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good reminder, Diane. I am still in close contact with my 5th grade teacher and treasure the relationship that we have. I don't think she had any knowledge of the impact she had on my life, but it is still remembered 33 years later.

      Delete
  5. JUST COMMENTING TO SAY THANKS FOR LOSING THE ALL-CAPS WRITING!!!

    Good stuff here, Courtney! Keep it up!

    Oh, and that darn Lance and his helpful books in the mail... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "There are so many opportunities...The easiest thing to do is to pretend they don't exist." This irony has struck me many times. So much to do, so hard to just get to work. Thank you so much for continuing to stand in the fray and reach into lives.

    ReplyDelete