Tuesday, March 28, 2017

In the world of education change is inevitable, and many times, necessary for the growth of an institution. Change cannot be forced by one person, but takes a team of people working together to initiate that desired change effectively and successfully. Several articles that I recently took the time to read talked at length about the need for teacher-leaders to rise up and help with that change. These articles were very clear in how one can identify in herself  if she is a teacher leader.  It talked of several qualities and traits that can be found in those equipped to lead. These "markers" were summarized in five easy-to-identify descriptions.  So as I read about them, I began going through the list and seeing which qualities were present in my own life.  
The first sign mentioned is that a teacher has a desire to have an impact outside of her classroom.  This would take the form of helping a colleague, blogging, submitting an article or leading a department workshop.  Maybe it involves mentoring or discipling students. I know that at the school I presently teach in, there is a community of teachers that look to each other to see how we can develop and nurture the child in all classes, not just our own. I definitely feel as though I could identify the first sign in my own life. 
The next two signs of a teacher-leader are that (1) colleagues often ask for her advice, as well as (2) she has a desire to take the new teachers under her wing and help them out. This starts with empathy.  All teachers have been in the new teacher position at one point and know the struggles that encompass that daunting position.  The experienced teacher can offer help for the new teachers.  If colleagues are coming to a teacher for help with difficult situations, then that teacher probably has what it takes to lead. Now, I am not sure if it is due to the fact that I fall on the older side of our faculty, but I have found that the younger teachers do come and bounce ideas off of me at different times. The beauty of this is that on more than one occasion, I have been more blessed and encouraged by the young teachers than I think they have been by me. Looking to others is a strong and necessary trait for true success.  
A fourth sign mentioned was that a teacher-leader thinks big about problems. The key here is that the teacher doesn’t complain about problems, but looks for solutions.  The teacher “puts feet” to a solution - talks to the principal, joins a committee, or acts as a spokesperson. I hope that I can be identified as one who looks for solutions and works to innovate the students that walk through my doors.
  The last sign of a teacher-leader actually brings me to where I am today. A teacher-leader will find herself learning about the current methods and strategies for her specific subject.  That teacher will join teaching networks to share ideas with others in her field.  This could mean additional certifications or even graduate courses.  So while this course has come at a difficult time in our lives, I am taking it to become a better teacher. I want to rise up and try to lead those around me. I can easily become uncomfortable with that thought. To label myself as a "leader" sometimes makes me feel arrogant, or almost obnoxious. But I am learning that to identify qualities in myself and be brave enough to embrace the characteristic that I have been given, actually brings the glory back to my God who has given me the abilities that I am working to nurture. If I am willing to do that, I will learn so much.








References

Holecek, C., Beckham, K., & McKethan, D. (2016). Developing teacher leaders in CTE. Techniques: Connecting Education & Careers, 91(6), 35-38. Retrieved March 6, 2017.
Melville, K. (2016). Finding my way to teacher leadership. Schools, 13(1), 46-56. doi:10.1086/685802
Ratzel, M. (2014). 5 Telltale signs you're becoming a teacher leader. In Curriculum leadership readings for developing quality educational programs (10th ed., pp. 38-41). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson education.
Warren, L. L. (2016). Viewing teachers as leaders without being administrators [Abstract]. Education, 136(4), 508-515.



2 comments:

  1. I'd add to the list of "marks of a teacher-leader": Actively creating an outflow for the inflow. What I mean by that is proactively seeking out ways to be a thought leader. This has to of course begin with a strong inflow: Reading literature, attending conferences (without coercion), reading books/journals, and being aware of educational news. With that in place, a teacher-leader will seek for ways to contribute without being prompted: Speaking up in faculty meetings, making suggestions for school improvement, writing a blog, speaking at a convention. These are all steps to the next level of professionalism that a teacher-leader should be willing to take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good insights. I am slowly building my inflow portfolio in order to gain confidence in the outflow portion of being a teacher-leader. I tell everyone that my desires and goals were refined when I had my own children in the school. I have such a high standard that I want for my children's education, and in turn, I have come to realize my part in bringing that to fruition. I put into my job/ministry what I hope my children are receiving from other teachers. But you pointed out something very important, and that is that teachers have to desire growth and learning for themselves. Because no matter how many conferences they are sent to, a teacher without a personal desire will also be a teacher without motivation to become a better version of themselves.

      Delete