Thursday, March 16, 2017

I just took a deep cleansing breath as I submitted my final assignment for week 2 of my class.  I am beginning to settle into a bit of a routine that has allowed my panic over the syllabus to die down.  I am slowly starting to figure out the best way to handle all of life's responsibilities.  Don't ask my husband or my kids to grade me on my accomplishments.  I am afraid that my report card would not be one to brag about.

A few weeks ago, a friend commented on my blog that, "there is no such thing as true objectivity." That statement is completely true, and yet scary at the same time.   As I was asked to evaluated multiple sources, learning orientations, and philosophies of teaching this week for class, every single source agreed on one thing: everything that is taught will reflect, directly or indirectly, the morals and value system of the teacher.  Everything that is observed or taught is colored, intentionally or not, through the eyes of the beholder or deliverer.  Or in this case, the teacher.

It took a while for me to completely process my feelings on that.  I am a firm believer that there is not one educational choice that is perfect for everyone. I have friends with children in the public school system, the Christian school, and people whose children attend their own home-school co-op.  Each family has carefully considered and prayed about the option that is best for their family.

However, with those choices each family has opened up their child's world to a belief system that may not match up to their own.  After this week, I understand why this new realization weighs so heavily on me.

While it IS the job of the school systems to educate our children, it is NOT the sole job of the school system to nurture and grow the mindset and morals of our children.

That is the job of the parents. 

The parents are the ones who need to get  actively involved in leading the education that will shape their children.  When the family sits around the table, ask about the school day.  As a parent, you need to ask your child what is being taught in science or history.  Open up conversations that enable you to share with your children what your belief system is. If I am going to put my children in the care of someone else for eight hours a day, I need to have the conversations that let me know what they are being taught, and where they stand on those issues. 
The problem is not a particular school system and the solution is not to keep your children in a time shelter like Adam in "Blast From the Past".  

The solution is to get active in the education of your child.  

For me, this is a sobering thought.  As an educator, I have the responsibility of imparting information that holds true to my belief system and of supporting each family's efforts to establish biblical morals and world views.  As a parent, I have even more responsibility to come beside my own children and nurture them, show them truth, and get active in their education.

References:
Melville, K. (2016). Finding my way to teacher leadership. Schools, 13(1), 46-56.
          doi:10.1086/685802

Schultz, G. (2003). The end result of education. In Kingdom education:God's plan          for education for future generations (pp. 37-49). Colorado Springs, Co: Purposeful       design.



4 comments:

  1. You are absolutely correct that parents have the primary responsibility for educating their children, and instilling beliefs, values, and character into their children, regardless of what choice they have made about schooling. The best way to make sure your beliefs and values get passed on to your children is by actively talking about them and living them out.

    Equally important, is teaching your children how to think critically, make decisions, and take responsibility for their actions. They will be presented with opposing worldviews, and they will need to know how to examine both their own beliefs and the beliefs of other people who are trying to influence them. They will be presented with dilemmas, and they will need to know what is right and wrong, and how to weigh out the pros and cons. They will need to understand that decisions and actions and worldviews have consequences, and that blaming someone else for their own bad choices will only perpetuate bad situations and bad relationships, not solve their problems.

    Yes, teachers can and should teach all these things! However, how much better would our society be, if more parents were building strong foundations in their children, of faith in God, godly character, and wise thinking. We only have our kids for a short time--let's make those years count!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. It is so true that parents have got to get involved in the education of their children. It is a job that I feel honored to fill, but I would never want to be the "sole" person to influence and guide a young teen.

      Delete
  2. I love this post and wish that a form of this could be sent home to every parent at the beginning of each school year. Even as a teacher in a Christian school I crave the interaction of parents with their children. Knowing that parents will talk through philosophies and values with their children at home and not just take whatever is taught to their children. I pray that my bias in teaching is always full of Godly truth, but even Scriptures remind us to test those things that are taught to us by the standard of Scripture. Well written and a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from a fellow teacher, your comment is appreciated. It is so important that as believers, we hold each other accountable for what is being taught. Parents need to check in with us, and we need to communicate with the parents to let them know what is being taught in the classroom. Too many people look at Christian education as a free pass to hand over their children to someone else for 8 hours in a day. If we could all team up together, we would be a strong foundation for the minds of the youth.

      Delete